Hey y’all! I am so sorry that I have been MIA for the past few weeks. I was sick for two weeks with first the flu and then strep throat. I had no voice for basically the two weeks. I spent that time basically sleeping nonstop. Once I was better, I had to play catch up on stuff around the house. To be honest, I am still playing catch up. Oops… But I do have sort of good news, after next week I will have more time to write, vlog, investigate, and KonMarie my house. I put in my two weeks notice at work. Don’t get wrong. I absolutely LOVE working at News-Gazette Media but the hours weren’t lining up with my husband’s hours. I know my military spouse followers (especially recruiting duty wives) will understand why I gave up my job just to have one meal a day with husband. Lately, Jeremy has been getting home at 11pm or later Monday through Saturday. By the time we had dinner and watched a show together, it would be 12am or later. Then I would have to be at 5:30am to be at work at 7am. I was barely sleeping. This is probably why I got so sick so quickly. My last day is St. Patrick’s Day. Then I will be back to blogging, vlogging and investigating locations fulltime.
But enough about all that. I know you’re mostly here for the paranormal stuff.
During the giveaway, I asked what is something y’all would want to Paranormal Housewife. One of the most popular answers was what to do if you think your house is haunted. Many of you wrote to me saying that you think there is something going on in your homes but you don’t have proof. Or you have experienced something in your home but you don’t know what to do next. This post is some of my dos and don’ts of what I recommend my clients to follow if they think something is going.
Things To Do If You Think Your Home Is Haunted:
- Be sure to talk to your roommates or family members that live with you. Things that you may think is paranormal may actually be something they are doing or something you think is normal may actually be paranormal. When I lived with Nelly and we were trying to figure out if we had a ghost or not, we were writing off a lot of stuff as something the other person was doing such as moving each other’s stuff or causing the knocking/ tapping on the walls. It wasn’t until we talked that we realized that we weren’t doing that to each other. Also when I thought I saw the ghost in my childhood bedroom, I didn’t realize my sister had seen the same spirit until we talked. But at the same time, things that I want to blame on ghosts or even cats lately, are usually my husband cleaning stuff up and moving my stuff to someplace I didn’t put it.
- If something feels off, take pictures or video! There is a lot that happens in the spirit world that we can’t see or we are scared or focused on something else to realize something is happening around us. If you feel something around; whether its the hairs going up on your arms, feeling like you’re being watched, or simply don’t feel like you’re alone; start taking pictures or video. In this day and age of technology, basically, everyone has a cell phone with some sort of camera. Now if you have a brick from 10 years that takes really pixelated pictures, I recommend grabbing a point and shoot camera. Pixelated photos are really hard to use as any type of evidence because you can’t really sort out what is camera caused and what is spirit caused. If your photo is pixelated in any way, DO NOT CROP IT TO SHOW THE PARANORMAL AREA. This causes even more pixelation.
- If your house is going to be empty for a bit or everyone is going to be sleeping for a while, leave out voice recorders or set up a camera to record. When investigating a location, one of the things I do before I eve do my own investigation is clear the location of humans and animals and just set up a bunch of voice recorders and cameras. It helps me figure out what I am dealing with before I even get started whether it be paranormal or something normal causing the noise, movement, or whatever it may be. Listening and watching them can take a while to review but they can really help when doing a proper investigation.
- If you think something is there, just talk to it. It may feel weird to just talk to the air around you but this is the biggest thing that can help calm a spirit and yourself. If you don’t know what to say just introduce yourself, tell them what you like about living in the house, who lives there with you, and what you are doing. If whatever is there is scaring you or making you nervous, express that in a calm, rational manner. This is the main thing my parents taught me growing up is to treat the spirits like they are still living and to be kind to them.
- If you want the spirit to feel more welcomed, feel free to leave presents or food offerings out for them. Announce to the spirit what it is and why you are leaving it there for them. If it is something that made you think of them while you were out and about, let them know. It doesn’t have to be expensive or big. Sometimes spirits just want to know that they haven’t been forgotten and that someone cares. Just like must of us.
Things NOT To Do If You Think Your Home Is Haunted:
- Don’t start flinging holy water around your house willy nilly. I wrote a post before about how religion isn’t always the answer and how it can actually do more harm than good. If you haven’t read that yet, please go check it out.
- Don’t just light sage and think your home is cleaned. There are right ways and wrong ways to use sage. Just like with holy water, there are ways to use sage that can make your situation worse. I will have a post in the near future that will explain how I use sage based on different situations.
- Don’t make demands. You wouldn’t want someone coming into your house and making demands without understanding the situations or who you are and spirits are the same way. Like you probably react, this will just anger the spirits. Don’t just demand the spirit to leave or to show itself or to attack you. A calm, reasonable conversation will go much farther with getting you the results that you want.
- Don’t make threats. Don’t damn the spirit to hell. Don’t threaten it with holy water. Don’t threaten to kick it out of its home. Just don’t. Like with making demands this will just anger the spirit.
- Don’t be aggressive or rude. Don’t yell at the spirit. If you scream in fright, that is different. Just explain to the spirit why you screamed and ask them calmly to not do that again. Don’t curse at the spirit. You don’t know if you are cursing out someone’s sweet old grandma or not. Don’t throw things in anger or threaten to harm the spirit. Be civil and don’t act like Zak Bagans. If you find yourself acting like him, just leave the space until you can calm down and act like a decent human being again. You will do more harm than good and if I have to come to clean up a mess you caused by acting like him, you may meet my Irish temper.
If you think your house or business might be haunted, please feel free to contact me. I can go over any evidence you may have and help give you some answers. I am also willing to come to investigate if you want me to. I promise not to judge you no matter how crazy you think your situation is. I can also help you find reliable paranormal teams near you if you need immediate help. I keep everything confidential unless I have your permission to share what you are experiencing. I also don’t charge for my services if you need help. If you need to reach me my email is firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also contact me on social media. I respond to each message fairly quickly.